How To Use XOPENEX HFA
XOPENEX HFA should be at room temperature before you use it.
Before you use XOPENEX HFA for the first time, you must prime the inhaler so that you will get the right amount of medicine when you use it.
- To prime the inhaler, take the cap off the mouthpiece and shake the inhaler well. Then spray the inhaler into the air away from your face. Avoid spraying in your eyes. Shake and spray the inhaler like this 3 more times to finish priming it.
- You must prime the inhaler again if you have not used it in more than 3 days.
- An adult should help a child use XOPENEX HFA.
Read the following 6 steps before using XOPENEX HFA and follow them before each use. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Take the cap off the mouthpiece of the actuator. Look inside the mouthpiece for foreign objects, and remove any that you see. Make sure the canister fits firmly in the actuator. Shake the inhaler well for 5 seconds.
Hold the inhaler with the mouthpiece down. Before you put the mouthpiece in your mouth, breathe out through your mouth and push out as much air from your lungs as you can. Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips around it.
Push the top of the canister all the way down while you breathe in deeply and slowly through your mouth.
Right after the spray comes out, take your finger off the canister. After you have breathed in all the way, take the inhaler out of your mouth and close your mouth.
Hold your breath for 10 seconds if possible. Then breathe normally.
Wait about 1 minute, then shake the inhaler well. Repeat steps 2 through 4.
Put the cap back on the mouthpiece after each time you use the XOPENEX HFA. Make sure the cap snaps firmly into place.
The inhaler may stop working if you do not properly clean the blue plastic actuator (mouthpiece) at least one time a week.
Step 1. To clean the Actuator:
- Remove the canister and red mouthpiece cap. Do not clean the metal canister or allow the metal canister to become wet.
- Wash the actuator through the top and bottom with warm running water for at least 30 seconds.
- Shake the actuator to remove excess water.
- Air-dry the actuator completely. Blockage from medicine build-up is more likely to happen if the actuator is not allowed to air-dry thoroughly.
- When the actuator is dry, replace the canister and the mouthpiece cap.
- Make sure the canister is fully and firmly inserted into the actuator.
- If your actuator becomes blocked, it means that little or no medicine is coming out of the mouthpiece. Wash your actuator and air-dry completely as described above.
If you need to use your inhaler before the plastic actuator is completely dry:
- Shake the excess water off the actuator.
- Replace the canister and shake well.
- Test-spray twice into the air, away from your face, to remove most of the water remaining in the actuator.
- Take your dose as prescribed.
- Rewash the actuator and air-dry it thoroughly as described above.
- Store XOPENEX HFA between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Keep XOPENEX HFA inhaler away from heat or open flame.
- Keep XOPENEX HFA inhaler away from freezing temperatures and direct sunlight.
- Do not puncture the XOPENEX HFA inhaler.
- Store XOPENEX HFA inhaler with the mouthpiece down.
- The XOPENEX HFA inhaler should be safely thrown away after using:
- 200 actuations for the 15 gram canister.
- 80 actuations for the 8.4 gram canister.
- Do not throw XOPENEX HFA inhaler into a fire or an incinerator.
Keep XOPENEX HFA and all medicines out of the reach of children.
For more information about XOPENEX HFA, speak with your doctor or call Sunovion Answers at 1-844-276-8262, 8 AM to 8 PM ET, Monday through Friday.